Unlike Wallonia, confronted with annual budgeting, SOFICO can, in a very short time, liberate the resources needed to build infrastructures.
SOFICO’s revenue are generated from different sources :
- Traffic: revenue generated from the use of the structuring network through per kilometre charges for heavy goods vehicles and payments from the Walloon region on behalf of the user (shadow toll);
- Payments made by the Walloon region for the provision of major infrastructure on Walloon waterways;
- From property valuation by granting concessions (motorway rest areas, hydroelectric power plants, wind turbines, etc.);
- From management of the Wallonia fibre optic network (telecoms).
Moreover, SOFICO can also obtain other types of funding :
- Loans taken from the European Investment Bank
- Subsidies received from the European Union, through Structural Funds or specialised funds